Following these home staging guidelines can add significant value to the sale of your home while adding little in cost. 1st Texas Realtors provides home staging guidelines in Clear Lake, League City, Friendswood.
Less is More!
- View your home from the curb or even from across the street. Take note of anything unusual such as loose artifacts, overgrown hedges, or dead branches, and remove them from the property. Clear Lake, League City and Friendswood all have free bi-annual brush and bulk item pickups, watch for their announcements in your neighborhood for free removal.
- If you are living in the home during the sale, you want to remove all clutter and organize the remaining items. The Container store has many affordable storage solutions great for between home sale and time of move. Items such as newspapers, mail and laundry should be out of sight.
- Remove a portion of your furniture and the rooms will look larger. It’s no longer about functionality, we want to create the perception of larger by reducing the amount of contents. Try to remove up to half of all furniture from each room in the house and outside living areas. The remaining furniture should highlight the best feature of each room.
- Next up, remove appliances big and small; toasters in the kitchen, tablets and iPads on the coffee table. Even accessories you use on a regular basis should be put away daily. If you can squeeze the coffee pot into the closet, do it! More space on the counters makes the counter space look bigger.
- Bring out the neat freak in you! Straighten the pictures and rugs, arrange the blinds the same way in every room, wash the walls with warm water, towels and laundry detergent. Touch up paint over all scratches on the walls. Each and every step adds incremental value to the sale of your home.
- Maximize the light in every room. Open blinds and curtains. If in unused rooms, remove curtains altogether. Clear branches from the exterior that block important views of the front or back yard.
- Pressure wash your home, sidewalks and driveway. Renting a pressure washer in Clear Lake, League City and Friendswood for one day is less than $60, and the difference can be dramatic!
- Bathrooms should be treated the same, remove from view as many items as possible, organize the remaining items. Make sure to keep it very clean.
- Is professional staging best for you? Sometimes home sales can be boosted by professional staging including rented furniture, lamps, art work and other house hold items to improve the look and feel of the inside.
- Remove personal associations, if you are a Boston Red Sox fan and sell the home to a New York Yankee fan, surely, you want the best price possible. Put the sports fan material away. It’s simply best to avoid all statements of influence including religion, political, weapons and even family photos. Our intention again is to produce an ability for the buyer to visualize themselves in the home.
- If you do spend money, the front door should be considered first for replacement, and on the inside, the foyer or entry way is of second importance. These two areas of the home play a big influence in buyer perception.
- Closets should be half full, same principles as before apply here, make them look bigger by having less contents inside.
- For bedrooms, I recommend a bed, nightstand and dresser only. Push all furniture items together in one area of the room to provide clear walking space.
1st Texas Realtors in Baytown, Clear Lake City, Clear Lake Shores, Deer Park, Dickinson, El Lago, Friendswood, Galveston, Kemah, La Porte, League City, Nassau Bay, Pasadena, Pearland, San Leon, Seabrook, Shoreacres, Taylor Lake Village, Texas City, Tiki Island and Webster.